The European Ramblers’ Association (ERA) was founded in Germany in 1969 and by 1971 consisted of 14 ramblers’ organisations from 6 countries. Today, this umbrella organisation comprises more than 55 ramblers’ organisations from 30 European states (+4 ramblers’ organisations from Canada/USA, Israel and Morocco as observers). These organisations have a total of over 3 million individual members. Most of the member organisations have more than fifty years’ experience in organising and creating conditions to facilitate walking (path marking, construction of huts, viewing towers, shipyards, campsites etc.), and a number of them have been in existence for more than one hundred years (the oldest for more than 130 years).
The ERA’s aims are:
- the layout, marking and maintenance of 11 European long distance paths across Europe
- the layout, marking and maintenance of cross-border paths (at least across two states)
- understanding and protecting the countryside and the promotion of the principles of sustainable development
- a knowledge of European history and culture and the protection of its heritage
- the preservation of the right of free access to the countryside with respect for the environment
- cross-border cooperation
- the organisation of pan-European events
Until the end of the last century, the Association was concerned mostly with the marking of the European long distance paths. In 2000–2001, it organised the largest event in the history of the European walking - EURORANDO 2001. It was hold in Strassbourg on the topic of uniting Europe. Since 2004, it has organised during the second week of September, within the framework of “European Walking Day”, a number of events with a joint theme. In the year 2004, cross-border walks “Walking with Neighbours” took place. In the year 2005, “Family Rambling Day“ will take place. In 2006, there was another EURORANDO 2006 in South Czech Republic celebrating the largest, Eastern enlargement of the European Union. For 2011, another large event EURORANDO 2011 in Andalusia, South Spain is planned.
c/o Klub ceskych turistu
110 05 Praha 1
Assistant: Martina Zikmundova
Cell phone: +420 777 166 998
D - 34 119 KASSEL
IBAN: DE65 5204 0021 0298 2478 00
BIC code: COBADEFF
Europäische Wandervereinigung e.V.
Wilhelmshöher Allee 157 - 159
D - 34 121 Kassel