Walking in General
- Walk for an hour at moderate speed!
- Wear sturdy outdoor shoes and avoid tarmacked roads (excessive strain on your joints).
- The lengths of the walk should be about 3.5 - 4 km.
- Double time and distance to increase fitness.
- When you feel confident that you can do more easily, you can increase time and distance again.
- Have a rest after about 2 hours.
- Walking shoes/boots – with a firm sole and good ankle support!
- Clothing – be practical rather than fashionable! Choose clothing that corresponds to the weather.
- Backpack – carefully chosen and properly fitted!
- Sun screen, raingear, 1st aid kit, fluids and snacks – should always be in your backpack!
Every walk needs some preparation. An enjoyable walk starts with good planning. The rule is: The further you walk, the less you know the area and the longer you plan to stay out, the more thorough your planning has to be.
- Set a goal! Walking is more than just walking off aimlessly!
- Devise a plan, to reach the goal!
- Know your fitness level and pace!
- Study the map! It holds important information: Ascend, terrain, view points, resting places. A map guide or route description is invaluable.
- Prepare a checklist! What do you have to know and bring on the outing?
- Check the weather forecast!
Test your walking knowledge
Would you like to know more about walking?
Under „Walking knowledge“ you will find further information about walking.